Monday, July 19, 2010

The Creeping Darkness

The room is brightly lit. The dazzling sun shimmering sending out hope. Yet in the corners and along the walls is the realm that haunts me. Everything that the light chases away sits, glaring at me. Waiting . Watching . I see them knowing that if the light fades they will begin their relentless crawling out of their prisons. Out to claim me again. Light kills darkness, but what happens when the light no longer shines? The light never stops shining but it can be blocked. Am I blocking it? Or is someone else or something else blocking it? It really does not matter. The fact is the light is slowly fades. As it does they begin their march. Inch by inch they crawl out testing at first to see it the light is really failing. They know that if the light is not going then they are finished. But no the light is sinking. Hopes begin to rise Not mine theirs. As the darkness creeps across the room they creep with it. I sit alone and watch as they crawl closer and closer. I scream as their forms become clearer. The monsters of my past. The monsters that were to have been washed away. I tell them I was told they had been washed away. The monsters only shake their heads. I turn to run but it is to late I am rooted to the floor. Deep roots. Roots that speak telling me that the monsters have every right to come and claim what is due them. I begin to cry. Hopelessness comes into view it tells me that I should resign myself to fate that I am earned from my actions. It is my BED and I should lie in it. I have nothing to say. Maybe Hopelessness is right. But wait behind me I hear footsteps . I turn and look I see a Silver Cross swinging in the fading light it is coming closer. And closer. I reach out with my free hand and beg for some kindness. A condescending voice from behind the cross tells me that I was never cleansed. The voice tell me that I was still TAINTED. I sink back down and look towards Hopelessness and it nods it head in agreement. I plead to the voice saying that I was promised to be clean. The voice contradicts me and say it can still smells my past sins. The Voice then tells me that I am of no use. The voice fades and all I can see is the silver cross . The cross glimmers with light but the cross is bare the light is a false hope. The voice and the Cross slow sink into the dim edges of the darkness. I scream and plead for them to return . Not to leave me alone. "TAINTED" . I turn back to see that Hopelessness is not alone. Hopelessness is now flanked by Disgust and Loathing. They tell me that I should have never gotten my hopes up in the first place. I know I am foolish. I try to avert my eyes from the trio but I always seem to be pulled back. With every glance a new wave of guilt crashes down. The tears flow freely. Maybe they can clean me, but no I am still TAINTED. Then with a flood of Hate I begin to pull the roots from me. WHO ARE THESE THREE TO TELL ME WHO I AM, WHAT I AM WORTH. I think that I may win this fight yet. But the roots I pull don't seem to release me. In fact they only reveal the true roots beneath. I feel as if I have been kicked. As the shock of the blow wears off I look and I see Hatred was never on my side. My outbursts only fed it. As the relentless march of towering waves come I can barely catch my breath before the next crash against me. The group of watching grows in number Condescension, Loathing, and Uselessness join in the fray. But I am to fight alone. I must escape from the roots that hold me down. I pull them out with the fury of a madman but all I do is bleed, no freedom is to be found. I gasp as the waves rise. The group is growing Foolishness, Anger and Stupidity can be seen. The waves slam into me. I sputter and cough. As I blink back the pain the multitude I face is uncountable. I try to scream again, but my screams are shoved back down my throat as another wave catches me off guard. I turn and scream to the voice behind the silver cross. I plead for help . "TAINTED". Help me . "TAINTED". Help me "TAINTED" PLEaseeeee "TAINTED". I look at the empty silver cross and I am truly alone. I take a final breath and turn back to my accusers. I see them for just a moment as a large wave crushes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment